June 29, 2001

Day 92 - Palmerton to Leroy Smith Shelter

Well, it was one free beer and then some. The boys got in late and, as I expected, had no interest in getting up early. But I was determined to tackle Dante’s Inferno before the heat. 

Murph gets ready to leave Palmerton
Murph and I left the hostel around 6:15 and got a ride pretty easily back to the trail. Started hiking at 7. It was still relatively cool with a nice breeze. The actual climb was up over big boulders, but most of them had pretty reasonable step-like rocks nearby. 

 


Murph and I hiked the section alone, and it was really quite fun. Not scary or painful or intimidating at all. Great view of Palmerton, then great views of all the destruction caused by a zinc-smelting plant down below years ago.
 

Pretty easy walking, but really rocky. Murph and I just took it slow and steady all day. Got to the shelter around 2:15. Dave had left Palmerton late so he could make some phone calls. Didn’t see him til the late afternoon. 

A bunch of us set up camp near the shelter. Very hot and humid. Didn’t have the energy to move. Thunderstorms rolled in after we had gone to bed. Nothing too bad, though.

1 comment:

  1. Didn't a police man take us to the trailhead? Or did a policeman take us in to Palmerton? I can't quite remember.
    I do remember leaving early though - already 72 degrees at 6:15. I loved that rock scramble. Fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!