June 22, 2001

Day 85 - Duncannon, Pennsylvania

Longshanks and Murph at The Doyle
Dave, Smittee, et al. “tore it up” at the bar last night. Good thing beer is cheap here. Actually, the gang mostly hung out on the second floor porch. Stray Cat had gotten drunk early in celebration of his 30th birthday.

I wasn’t much in a drinking mood. Had my pineapple pizza, read for a while, and went to bed. Slept well, despite the insects coming in through the screen-less window. Major thunderstorms during the night. Glad we weren’t in them. Motivation factor was extremely low, and it didn’t take much to convince us to stay another night.

Had breakfast at the diner across the street. Got a ride to the supermarket. All the usual errands that suck up the day. Rained off and on. Bunch of people came into town -- Moose, Smiles and Fiddlehead, Moonshine, Longway, Bad Moon, Lion King, the King… Going to be interesting getting out of town. 

Tried to figure out when we’re going to be in Mass. so we can get started on plans for the cookout/clambake. I decided on the 21st, which I think is very realistic (had to make it a Saturday).

May have to push it a little at the end, but that’s OK. Mom and Dad seem excited about our arrival in Mass. It will be weird to see everyone.

Got dinner at the pizza place again. Dave was talking about what it will be like to deal with life in the “real world” (or off the trail) again. Wonder how I’ll react. Will I go back to all my old ways? Will I be mellower? More appreciative of the little things in life? I hope so. Shared the room with Swagman and Smittee. Oh, Deuce ½ shaved her head. It looks good, but I'm not sure I'd have the guts to go through with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!