June 8, 2001

Day 71 - Pass Mountain Hut to Hogback Spring

Slept pretty well, with my usual midnight wake-up time. Up before 7, but not out til 8:30. 

Did the eight miles to Elkwallow Gap Wayside (store and grill) in 2 ½ hours. Chilled out for another 2 ½. Got a yogurt, an ice cream cookie sandwich, and a blackberry sundae. Yum! I love eating desserts. What will I do when I get home? Will I be able to curb my appetite? Will the pounds leap onto my stomach and thighs in a big welcome home hug? 
 
Not looking forward to the big climb out of the gap. But it never materialized. We were going down the other side when we found out we’d already passed the top of the dreaded mountain. It was hot, though, in the 80’s, which made things uncomfortable. 

Decided to do 16.5 miles to a spring and just camp there. Murph and Stray pushed on to the shelter at 23 miles. Campsites were hidden way back, but not bad. No fires allowed, though. 

Thumper and Assface were here, along with a man doing a section hike. It’s surprisingly cold. My hands could do with some gloves. Last 10 miles of the Shennies tomorrow. Into Front Royal to resupply.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!