June 10, 2001

Day 73 - Jim and Molly Denton Shelter to Rod Hollow

Terrible night’s sleep. Not sure why. Maybe my sleeping bag’s too warm. Just could not get comfortable. Then the bugs were biting.

Not psyched about getting up in the morning. Just wanted to get the 19 miles over and done with. The heat makes hiking, especially uphill, so much harder for me. Not much to see, but we are definitely out of the Shenandoahs in terms of the difficulty of the terrain. 

At lunch, a butterfly landed on my watch. I was studying it closely, then noticed a clear liquid spilling onto the watchface. Eew! It was going to the bathroom, I think.

Blew through the miles to get to the shelter before 4:30. A pretty nice one, but nothing spectacular. Finally got the guts to take off my baseball cap. Everyone says it looks good, but I’ll hold judgment til I’m clean and made up.

Oh, there was a nest in a pole that was home to a mama bird and her babies. They couldn’t have been more than a day or two old. Huge eyes, and no feathers. The mother kept leaving and then coming back to feed them. The babies pretty much kept their mouths open constantly, waiting for something good to be dropped in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!