June 9, 2001

Day 72 - Hogback Spring to Jim and Molly Denton Shelter

Slept well and for a lot of hours. Why is it still so hard to get up in the morning? Was determined to leave by 8, which we did.

Had a discussion about whether or not to go to D.C. for the day. I was leaning against it, mainly because I really don’t feel the need for two zero days. Couldn’t use the money excuse, since almost all of the museums in D.C. are free.

Got to the road at noon and hitched into town. A woman whose 17-year-old son is hiking the trail right now picked us up. Her son is “Front Royal,” and he’s behind us a ways. Went to an awesome, authentic Mexican restaurant. Then to a supermarket to resupply. 

Had some time to spare, and I saw a Super Cuts-type place nearby, so I decided to go for it. Big mistake. Had to wait an hour for an appointment and was really embarrassed to have the woman touch and wash my dirty hair.

Then it was in front of the mirror with no makeup. Yikes! I asked her to take off a little more than an inch. She was cutting and cutting and cutting. The works. I was not a happy camper. So on went the baseball cap. But like Dave said, I’m not trying to impress anyone and it will grow back (and should make my head cooler, which will be nice).

Easy 5.3 mile walk to the shelter. It’s a really nice one with deck and cooking pavillion. Enjoyed talking with Artful Dodger, who’s hiked a massive number of miles (12,000?). He highly recommended we go to Vernon, N.J. rather than Unionville, New York. Also, he said that Upper Goose Pond before the Mass. Pike is one of “the” special trail places. It’s a hostel, I guess, and you can use canoes and stuff. Sounds neat.

Dodger told us a lot about the trail coming up and eased many of my concerns about the terrain. As for the fact that so many hikers are dropping out as of late, he said, “The best is, by far, yet to come.”

1 comment:

  1. AD knew what he was talking about when he said Upper Goose Pond was a special place - ey?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!