June 4, 2001

Day 67 - Mile 92.4 to Pinefield Gap

Got packed up and into the car for the ride back to the trail. Along the way, we saw more wildlife than we’ve ever seen in the woods. Lots of deer, wild turkeys, squirrels… then we saw a black bear! It was right by the side of the road and turned to look at us. Much cuter than I expected, actually.
Mrs. Murphy (Duchie) walked the first six miles with us. Pretty easy walking. The last 14 didn’t go as quick, though. We were all kind of tired, for some reason. I had taken a few things out of my pack, but not enough to make a big difference.
Murph and Duchie
Then Dave decided to go off trail .1 mile to a camp store, where he hoped to find a phone. It ended up being a long walk, probably a mile out of our way in all. I was not a happy camper. Dave got in touch with the sleeping  bag company and finally talked to someone who said he'd replace the one with the broken zipper.
Back on the trail, Dave was hiking really fast – and I, of course, tried to keep up. Was going downhill and somehow tripped and fell – full body, slow motion, hit-the-ground. I remember the fingers of my left hand bending back, but otherwise seemed to be in pretty good shape. Didn’t notice the huge lump on my left lower leg til later. Murph called it a hematoma. Hasn’t turned color yet, but it’s bound to be quite dramatic when it does.
Took a shower and went to dinner. Becoming very familiar with the lodge menu. Stuffed myself yet again. We said goodbye to Charlie, who is speeding up so his girlfriend Mason won’t have to do the last yucky part of Pennsylvania. Also to Honkey, who is ahead of us and will be getting off the trail in three weeks to start grad school.
Dave and I had our own room again. No mice that I heard/felt.

1 comment:

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!