June 14, 2001

Day 77 - Gaithersburg to Harpers Ferry Hostel

Didn’t get up til after 9. Woke to the smell of fresh-baked blueberry and apple cinnamon muffins, coffee, whipped cream. Kathy really outdid herself. Don’t think she could have kept up the pace much longer, though.

They went out to do an errand, and we packed up. Turns out they had gone back to the outfitter to buy me a titanium spoon and fork set! A little heavy, but how can I not carry it! 

Smittee, Stray Cat, Murph, Blur, and Longshanks
Rode back to Harpers Ferry. Man, it was hot. We spent some time checking out the town, which is a cool old place (reminiscent of Newport). Got a giant vanilla ice cream cone, which was melting rapidly in the heat.

Bumped into Mother Hen, who told us she was having a cookout with her family -- so we checked it out. Lots of food and people, many of whom I’d never met before -- Mad Cow, Big Country, Luna, Two Traex, and the Flying Dutchman. The Flying Dutchman, Serge, is 7’3” and played basketball with the Houston Rockets for a year. He got off the trail in Erwin when he found out his wife was pregnant. Really nice guy.

Lucky Duck and China Girl were there, too. And I saw Dennis, the GoLite guy, from way back in Neels Gap. His hair is long and wild now. I said hi but could tell he didn’t recognize me. Then he said to Murph, “Yeah, I’ve been trying to catch up with Longshanks and Pack-on for a long time now.” Not sure if it’s good or bad he didn’t know who I was. Probably good, though. Murph thinks I’ve lost a lot of weight.

Hit the trail at 7:30. Crossed the bridge over the Potomac River into Maryland. No good camp sites, but there happened to be a hostel .2 miles off the trail. So off we went.


It ended up being a really nice place with a great hiker box and big porch for us to sleep on. Owner thru-hiked in ’99 and was really cool. Mick, who we haven't seen in ages, was there. I got a good night’s sleep on the couch with my new high-powered earplugs. Murph’s brilliant idea: put on bug spray before bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!