June 3, 2001

Day 66 - Paul Wolfe Shelter to Skyline Drive Mile 92.4

Got up and out last, of course, at 8:30. Had to do 18 ½ miles by 4 p.m. It was possible, but we’d have to hustle.


Hiked five miles to Rockfish Gap, where there was a gas station with a convenience store. Quick break, then headed towards Shenandoah National Park. Nice walking; quite cool, actually. Some steep ups, though. I guess those are inevitable, and I should just learn to accept them.

Stopped for lunch on top of Bear Mountain and who of all people but Ebb showed up. No one knew what to say, and it was quite awkward. We kept eating and pretty much ignored him.

At 1:10 we still had 8.4 miles to do. Could we make it on time? Would the thought of a hot shower, my first in a week, propel me up the trail faster?

Oh, this was June 3rd, our first wedding anniversary. It was a good day. I did think back to June 3, 2000 on occasion – especially the ceremony in the marsh. I was glad I don’t have to go through that again – too much pressure.


Kicked it into high gear behind Smittee and Longshanks, and we made it to the Murphys' van at 3:55. They are really nice, and just how I pictured them based on Murph’s description. Drove an hour to get to Big Meadows, where we’re all staying. Had a beer at the pub, then off to the room for a shower.

They got us a two bedroom, two bathroom place, separated by a living room with fireplace. No phone or TV. It’s really nice! Because of our anniversary, Dave and I got one of the rooms to ourselves.

We all met for dinner at 7:30. Charlie and Honkey came, too. Prices at the lodge are quite high,and I thought the food was rather disappointing for the money. I got a house salad, grilled veggie kabob with rice, and blackberry cobbler a la mode for dessert. Two glasses of merlot, too. One of the waiters is a thru hiker (Greensinger), and he serenaded Dave and me for our anniversary (Oh Shenandoah). Got a free blackberry ice cream – yum!

Hung out in the Murphys' room after dinner for a while. Charlie showed his video thusfar. A bit of trouble getting to sleep. Too much excitement, I guess. Dave kept hearing mice in the walls and maybe in the room. I had my earplugs in, so the noise didn’t bother me.

1 comment:

  1. My mother is visiting me here in VT tonight! I can't wait to tell her that it's 11 years to the day from when she met us in Shenandoah :)

    P.S. Happy TWELTH anniversary! (wow)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!