June 23, 2001

Day 86 - Duncannon to Peters Mountain Shelter

The night was good. I slept well in the soft bed with two pillows and two big windows letting in the breeze. Glad it wasn’t til morning that Dave found the big stains on the sheets.

Left the Doyle at noon. On the way out of town, stopped to talk to a man in his yard. Turns out he’d just gotten back from a week on the Cape!

The climb out of Duncannon wasn’t as bad as I’d expected. Then again, we only did 11 miles. This shelter is mobbed. More than 20 people here, and we all seem to be headed to the same places the next couple of days.


 
The sky has cleared, and now it’s downright cold! But I’m not complaining. Oh, today Dave told me I had my father’s stubbornness and my mother’s energy. I think that’s pretty accurate.

Forgot about the mayfly phenomenon. These small white flying insects descended upon the town, hovering around every light fixture and making big piles at the bottom of doorways. Very strange. I guess they only live for 24 hours or something. Smittee threw a handful of them at me. It was like snow (sort of).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!