June 28, 2001

Day 91 - Allentown Shelter to Palmerton

I woke up at 6:15 and was surprised to see nearly everbody already gone. Got my act together quick, but had to wait for Dave. Hardly any air.

First six miles were a piece of cake -- then we started getting into the rocks. Big boulders that you have to stop and climb over, little ones that jab your feet, medium ones that are a pain in the butt. Very frustrating -- especially because Dave seems to go faster over the rocks. I just can’t keep up.


Knew the tears weren’t far away. They came right after a pretty good fall. These rocks are actually mighty dangerous. And I don’t know how someone with a fear of heights could climb over the boulders. Will try to take it slow, though, and change my attitude. Are they really worth crying over?

Stopped for lunch at 10 miles. Didn’t feel like hanging out, so I pushed on. Not as bad as I expected -- but still my feet felt like chopped liver and my left toes were cramping up. Waited at the shelter for Dave for two hours. Started to thunderstorm.

I wanted to head into the town of Palmerton and stay at the “jailhouse hostel” -- actually the town hall basement. Dave surprisingly agreed. Wicked friendly place. They hand out care packages (with stuff donated by local businesses and put together by girl scouts), and the supermarket gives all thru-hikers a free apple. Happy to be here. We made a good decision.

Oh, hot shower, soda machine, and telephone, too. Bought a humongous sub at the supermarket (compromise between eating out and cooking our own food). Dave and the boys are out enjoying their one (I hope) free beer in town.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!