June 26, 2001

Day 89 - 501 Shelter to Eagle's Nest Shelter

Got up at 6:30, but getting out is another matter entirely. Left at 8:15. The only person we saw all day is Longway. He’s cool -- nice kid.

We went slow and took lots of breaks, which made Dave happy. A bit rockier -- shades of things to come, I know! Been really concerned about the last 75 miles of trail in Penn. There’s one section that Wingfoot compares to being in a scene from Dante’s Inferno -- especially if the heat is radiating off the rocks.

Blur tackles the rocks
Cameron/7 States just pushes them aside
Now I find out that the rocks actually extend into New Jersey. Aargh! Might have to hike this section on my own. Dave goes too fast, and I put pressure on myself to keep up, which is dangerous.

Ate lunch, then Dave, Longway, and I broke out the Z-rests and took a nap. I was nearly comatose. Couldn’t move except to swat those ever-annoying flies. Why do they land on me? What do they think I am? Then there are the small, toothless mosquitoes that fly around your head, giving you a private serenade, up close and personal.

Oh, a bunch of women wearing long dresses and white bonnet-like caps passed us going the opposite direction. I guess they were Mennonites. Will have to do some research on that one.

1 comment:

  1. Favorite Longway quote:
    (spoken to Deuce in the pouring rain as he waited on the trail for her after she had fallen off the cliff out of Big Meadows, and was trying unsuccessfully to un-turtle her banged-up self and clambor back up...)
    "Deuce, you gonna be long?"

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!