April 6, 2001

Day 9 - Dicks Creek Gap to Muscrat Creek Shelter

Well, the night started out promising, but I could have predicted the result. After spending an enjoyable evening at the Blueberry Patch, it was eventually time for bed.

I had chosen a top bunk, thinking I’d be sort of away from it all. But I forgot to check the ceiling height – only about a foot of breathing room. It was more claustrophobic than I had expected. We all (seven of us) went to bed at 10, and then the light went out. I was not tired enough to sleep, but I tried – and I tried. Within a few minutes, breathing all around became regulated. Dave was awake with me for a while, but not long enough.

Then I was in it alone. Heart racing, the whole nine yards. When I had to go to the bathroom the first time, I couldn’t figure out how to get out of my bunk. It was a scary moment. Stopped looking at my watch at 2:30 – just didn’t want to know anymore. Not happy when the clock turned to 7.

Got everything packed up and geared up for breakfast. It was quite a spread. We all went into Gary and Lennie’s house (addition) to a beautifully set table. He had us all join hands so he could say grace – a lengthy prayer. There was an envelope next to every plate for donations to their ministry – they no longer charge to stay at the hostel. Dave and I each put $20 in the envelope. It was well worth the money.

Breakfast was a feast – the most beautiful fluffy round pancakes I’ve ever seen – plus biscuits, coffee, juice, and of course the homemade blueberry sauce. Yummy. Gary had us back at the trail by 9:30.
 
Tim, Charlie, Dave, Kerri, Achilles, Julia, Virginia, Murph, Adrian
 
It was a warmish day, but overcast. I just sweat profusely. After four or so hours of hiking, we made it to the North Carolina border. It was exciting to cross our first state line. Charlie said he remembered N.C. as being much flatter than Georgia (he already thru-hiked the trail before). Wrong! The state begins with two extreme ups. But I didn’t think it was that bad.

We made it to the Muscrat Creek Shelter. There are tons of people camping in and around here – though only two are in the shelter itself.

1 comment:

  1. That grace was so funny because it was so unexpected LONG. We were supposed to have bowed heads and closed eyes, but I kept peeking - and so did most everyone else! Still, a great time, and good folks. Ahhhh blueberry pancakes!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!