April 10, 2001

Day 13 - Wine Spring Campground to Wesser Shelter

Good night’s sleep last night, though the zero degree bag is becoming too heavy. Decided to do 13.6 miles. The first 7.6 were pretty easy. Then at the shelter, after lunch, Dave and Murph wanted to hang out for a while, so I pushed on.

It was a pretty tough uphill climb in the hot North Carolina sun. Was rewarded with a beautiful 360 degree view from the top of a fire tower. 

And just before the shelter, I found the path to the water. I was really hoping for more of a stream than a puddle or a trickle. And I was psyched to find ice cold water gushing from a pipe in the side of the mountain. 

I grabbed a Nalgene and started pouring the precious liquid on top of my overheated head. It felt so good, but inevitably led to brain freeze. Gave the hair a quick washing. Heaven.

It’s dry tonight, so the tent will air out. Possible thundershowers, though. Five miles down to Wesser in the morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!