April 22, 2001

Day 25 - Hot Springs

The atmosphere at the inn wasn’t overly friendly, and the house is in need of some repair (and cleaning). But it was definitely a unique place to stay. Lots of creaks and shudders in this old place. The bed, though, was extremely comfortable. Couldn’t even move in the morning, and would have slept late if that was an option.

We opted not to eat a “family style” breakfast with the gang and put our stuff on the porch. Within a minute, Elmer and one of his staffers jumped up to make sure we were going to pay. 

Found an entire one pound, four ounce package of Oreos in the hiker box. Score! We also scoffed a roll of TP, an empty Nalgene container, Swiss army-type knife, and lots of macaroni.

Then it was off to breakfast at the local diner. I got pancakes and of course ate every bite. Oh, Elmer has a scale at his house. According to it, I’ve lost about 11 pounds, minus what my boots, socks, jacket, and shirt weigh. So maybe it’s only seven or eight. 

Dave, on the other hand, has lost 15 pounds! He doesn’t look that skinny to me, but I know he should be eating more. Food is heavy to carry, though, so it’s hard for him to get enough.

We have had a really tough time today deciding whether to stay for another night. Last night we hung out at Ian’s cabin with Charlie, Murph, and Tim. It was a great place, with three beds and a porch, right on the river -- and cost exactly the same as Elmer’s. Oh well. Dave was pretty bummed, and I must admit I was, too. 

Today has been spent doing the usual errands -- resupply, etc. Also sent a bunch of heavy winter gear home. Dave bought a lightweight sleeping bag and some Tevas, also a small light for reading. It’s very easy to spend money on lighter gear in the hopes of freeing up the pack some.

Yesterday at the campground where Ian was staying Murph and I ran into Wingfoot (author of The Thru-Hiker's Handbook) -- or Wingnut, as Charlie calls him. I liked him a lot. He seems very smart and genuinely interested in the hikers he meets. He talked a bit about how there is still a stigma attached to young female hikers who thru-hike.

Also, he stressed how Dave and I really need to work something out so that our different paces don’t drive us apart. He suggested maybe I should start earlier or something like that. Yesterday the backs of my thighs were really hurting when I stopped hiking -- maybe I am pushing too hard.

1 comment:

  1. You lost 11 lbs? Wow. I never did. I think only 9 when all was said and done, and certainly not by Hot Springs. Then again, I never had to keep up (or share with) Longshanks.
    Rest assured, I found those missing 9 pounds again...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!