April 27, 2001

Day 30 - Nolichucky River to Curley Maple Gap

Got up around 8 (late!). Everyone decided to go out to breakfast, and I enjoyed my meal. But then I sort of freaked out -- this not working and spending money and paying the mortgage and the bills thing is pretty stressful -- even if I do still have money in the bank. It’s an issue I’m going to have to work though, I think.

It’s 3:35, and we’re trying to decide whether to stay another night and slackpack 19 miles tomorrow. I’d like to do it -- maybe because I’m afraid of how tough the hiking will be in the heat with my extra heavy backpack. Well, the decision was made to not slackpack and push on. I was not a happy camper.

Oh, in the morning we hitched a ride into town from a man who said he’d come back and check on us in a while. After breakfast, he came back and drove us to the local dollar store (great deals on food -- too bad we’d already loaded up) and an outfitter before taking us back to the hostel.

Then we went to the library. Sent a lengthy email out to everyone. Walked through Erwin for a bit -- nice houses with big porches and beautiful lawns and gardens; friendly people. 

Hitched back to the hostel… decided to push on. Really tough to get motivated. Didn’t leave until 6 because people were waiting to get their fuel from Johnny and check out. I guess he is a bit sleazy, sort of like a used car salesman. Some call him “Johhny Cash,” which is fitting. But it was a nice, clean place; convenient to town; and I’m glad we stayed there. 

Headed out on the trail and came across a campground. Turns out there is an outfitter there (Johnny would have charged $25 for a ride to a different outfitter).

Pushed on with our heavy packs. Hopefully I’ve learned another lesson. Made it to the shelter around 8 and just decided to stay there. The floor slanted down, which makes sleeping difficult when your head is at the bottom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!