April 20, 2001

Day 23 - Painter Branch to Roaring Fork

It was a good night, but for some reason I didn’t sleep well. I think I was too hot in my zero degree bag. Everything felt clammy.

Got up and did lots of up and down miles in the morning. Stopped for lunch before a 3 ½ mile climb up to Max Patch. (Side note: In the morning, all the guys were standing around stretching and eyeing each other. It was almost like we were about to start running a race and people were forming strategies to get into a good position).

It was worth the climb to the bald -- something totally different than we’ve seen before, which was nice. We all took off our packs and boots and socks and did some sunbathing. I actually fell asleep for a bit leaning against my pack.

Charlie videotapes Tim
Longshanks relaxes in the sun
Finally got motivated close to 3 to do the last five miles. They were joyfully flat, so we made good time to the shelter. Level ground for tenting was scarce, and since I had a bad night last night, decided to sleep inside.


P. S. -- Yesterday, on the way out of Gatlinburg, Matt, Phil, Achilles, and Sweetwater saw a huge bear cross the street (stopping traffic in the process). Guess we should have stayed in town to see a bear!

1 comment:

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!