April 28, 2001

Day 31 - Curley Maple Gap to Greasy Creek Gap

Got up and hit the trail late (8:30), which isn’t encouraging when you have a 20-mile day ahead of you. Took a break on a nice bald.

 
Dave kept talking about how great he felt – what am I doing wrong? Maybe it’s the heat, maybe it’s the extra weight in my pack. Dave said having a big breakfast helped him a lot. Anyway, I explained how I struggle on every climb and am having a tough time keeping up with a group of men. He seemed to understand and did slow down for me.

We made the mistake (I think) of stopping for lunch at the 11-mile mark. Took a long break, then had to stop at the next shelter for water.

Oh, met a couple who thru-hiked in ’95. She was saying how few female hikers there were then – didn’t see a single other woman in the Smokies. That’s kind of how I’ve been feeling lately – lone female in a male tribe.

1 comment:

  1. I must have been off with Charlie and Lawyer Dan, wallowing in my post-Steve misery.
    You were tough stuff, Lady.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!