April 25, 2001

Day 28 - Hogback Ridge to Spivey Gap

Tough sleeping on slanted ground last night. Today, the terrain was more difficult than I had been expecting. I really drag on the ups. Is it my diet? Trying too hard to catch up to others? I think I shouldn’t look up as much. Too discouraging.


Made it to Big Bald for lunch. Another beautiful spot to chill out for a while. I fell asleep again (not sure for how long). Did maybe eight more miles to get to a camping area -- arrived at 6.

 
Dave and I are very close to running out of food, which isn’t a good feeling. We each have a pop tart, Carnation instant breakfast, and handful of cereal to get us the 11-plus miles into Erwin. Have decided to try buying separate breakfasts and lunches.

 
P.S. -- Parts of the walk yesterday afternoon were quite beautiful. It was like an enchanted forest, with greenery and white spring beauties covering nearly every inch of the ground. Quite magical. (Lots of twisted, gnarled roots, too).

Also, haven’t really had a chance to write about how I’ve changed over the course of the past month. Who would have thought that I’d be able to sleep in a shelter with as many as 18 other people (as well as a handful of mice)…that I’d wear my watch to bed…that I’d eat just about anything put in front of me (dirt particles, floating leaves, pieces of bark and all). I don’t miss my bed nearly as much as I thought I would. And as long as I’m able to change my clothes and wash my hair at night, I feel like a human being again.

1 comment:

  1. You are so cute.
    You were tired because you were trying to keep up with Shanks!
    You probably kept a pace that was faster than your natural pace - kind of like jogging when everyone else was walking. Hard stuff.
    I love reading your blog. I really really love the last picture of you two.
    ---Murph

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!