April 1, 2001

Day 4 - Gooch Gap Shelter to Wood's Hole Shelter

It wasn’t a great night, not quite sure why. A little cold. Very windy. Heard a few coyotes during the night.

It was daylight savings night, so we lost an hour. Getting up at 7:15 felt like 6:15. Tim told us it was supposed to rain all day, and it started out looking that way. It actually began to hail, then we had a few flakes of snow.

Cold day – and very windy. But going uphill makes you want to take off your heavy layers. It was a long walk, but we made good time. Got here first, along with Dennis.

Will be a cold night tonight, as there’s no protection from the wind. Already have both pairs of long underwear on, hat, jacket, and gloves. Plan to make it to Neels Gap tomorrow for my first shower (in five long, sweaty days!) I really can’t imagine what the summer is going to be like. I almost need the cold, I think, to keep me from overheating.



Hopefully my pack will be lighter in the summer. There are things I’d like to have with me (another camera, better pillow, small light), but not if I have to carry them up and down mountains. I’m thankful that Dave helped me pare down my load before we left (although I did complain at the time). I’m wondering if there’s anything I can send back home tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!