August 20, 2001

Day 143 - Gentian Pond to Full Goose Shelter

Good night’s sleep on the tent platform. We went to bed early -- not much else to do. Nice to be semi-clean inside my sleeping bag.

Up at 6:30, out at 7:30. They weren’t kidding when they said this terrain was tough. Steep ups, steep downs, all rocks and roots -- miles come very slowly. At least it was cooler and cloudy. We were sweating up a storm nonetheless.

Four and a half miles to the NH/Maine border. We did it! I did it! Now I can truly say I walked from Georgia to Maine, even if I don’t make it all the way. I still have my doubts. Oh, just before the border I saw a black bear. Heard it before I saw it. Dave was a bit ahead. The bear started to move away, then stopped and turned around and started coming back towards the trail. I didn’t stick around to find out its intentions.

Did a shot of whiskey out of a Gatorade bottle at the border. Our last state line! Maine certainly didn’t start off gently. The rain didn’t help at all -- turned rocks and roots into banana peels. It’s really dangerous walking. I did OK, though, kept myself under control. 

Clockwise from left: Boog, Swagman, Bad Moon, Blur, and Longshanks
It was a long, tiring 10 miles to the shelter -- made longer by the rain. What will the weather be like tomorrow, when we tackle “the toughest mile on the AT” -- Mahoosuc Notch? Rain would make the day much more stressful.

Hopefully we’ll go at least 10 miles -- although Dave mentioned a shelter at 5. Sometimes I think we’re never going to finish this trail! We went from an early September projected done date to Sept. 15. I don’t know if I’ll be up for going to Acadia if we finish that late. I just want to go home!

I’m warm and dry in the shelter but will have to put on my wet, smelly clothes in the a.m. Ew! I’m the only woman here out of eight thru-hikers. Something about this adventure definitely appeals more to males than females. I would not be here right now if it weren’t for Dave. He’s pulled me though many rough times. I have a lot of admiration for the solo thru-hikers (especially women).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!