August 4, 2001

Day 127 - The Lookout to Thistle Hill Shelter


Another tough day. Hot, with lots of ups and downs. Oh, I loved Frankenstein’s entry in the Lookout register – “Vermont and I have had a falling out.” Sums up the terrain pretty well.

We were going through the town that Don’s grandfather lives in – didn’t know if anyone was coming up. But no person or note to be found at either road crossing. Had enough food to get to Hanover, so we skipped a side trip to Pomfret. Met a lot of Sobos, but no Nobos anywhere in sight.

My legs were feeling tight, and my left knee hurt a bit. But all of these ups and downs are good training for New Hampshire and Maine (I hope). Some Sobo’s were saying Vermont was “flat” and “easy,” but others said it was hard – at least in the Whites, you get the climb over with and then ridge-walk for miles.

Don’t know what to expect. Now I hear southern Maine is tougher than New Hampshire. Will try to keep my fears in check and take things one day at a time. 



Got to the shelter a little after 6 – only to find it empty once again! I really thought there’d be some Sobos there. Oh, we crossed the 1700 mile mark today! Dave and I were both exhausted. Crawled into the tent around 9 and slept hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!