August 28, 2001

Day 151 - Crocker Cirque Campsite to Stratton

Had a good night's sleep. No rain during the night and woke to a clear morning.

I started hiking before Dave and Swag and waited for them on top of the second Crocker peak. It was a decent climb, but nothing I couldn't handle. I especially like hiking up mountains on my own because I feel freer to go at my own pace. Nice view from the top.
 



Then Dave and I started the five-mile descent into Stratton. Bumped into George "Perk" Perkins, a section hiker who we hadn't seen since Damascus. That was pretty cool. At the bottom of the mountain, we stopped and talked to a man doing trail maintenance (originally from Boston). He ended up giving us a lift into town.
 

Stratton, Maine
Patch
As soon as we got out of the truck, someone came running over. It was Pacman! (now Patch). He's flip-flopping, since he realized he wasn't going to make it to Katahdin in time if he kept heading north. He looks the same -- doesn't seem to have lost much weight. Big old smile on his face. He said he's having a great time -- lovin' every minute of the trail. Wish I could have his attitude. Anyway, he's taking it slow and steady -- has to, really, since he's carrying a 60-pound pack (added a backpacking guitar).

We had lunch, and before long Dave was talking about spending the night. I thought were going to get in and out of town to save money! Oh, well. It was the third to last town, and we found a room for $30 that we could split with Swagman. And we were awfully dirty. Sold. Plus Dave said we'd make up the miles the next day.

Picked up my package at the post office. Resupplied. Did laundry. Had dinner (an omelette) at the local diner. Called home (it was Mom and Dad's anniversary). It started to rain -- got to love it when you're not in the woods.

Watched a little TV. Redneck was hanging out in our room -- had no place to go. I knew he'd end up crashing on the floor. I didn't sleep so well. Up at 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!