August 7, 2001

Day 130 - Hanover to Trapper John Shelter

I got up at 7 and started packing. Let Dave sleep til almost 9. Missed the AYCE breakfast, so I went with Murph to the Bagel Basement. Called home in the a.m.

Met Dave at Ben and Jerry’s so we could get our free “white blaze” milkshake. A 65-year-old man who plans to hike the trail next year started asking us tons of questions. He seemed very excited, and it was nice to be able to help him out. 


But once again, we were still in town at noon, and had 17 miles to walk. Aargh! Dave was hungover and tired – I had no sympathy.

Of course it started to get late and we had many miles ahead. I said I’d be willing to camp short of our goal; Dave wanted to push on – so we did. Got in around 8:30 – didn't have our headlamps on, but it was pretty dark.

We are beginning to encounter some serious water shortages for the first time on the trail. Lots and lots of dry river/creek beds. We’re having to grab water where we find it and haul it up and down mountains til we get to camp. I know, I know – good training. 

We’re in the midst of a heat wave. Some of the low-lying plants in the forest are dying. Doesn’t even cool off much at night. So glad I have my extra thick zero degree down bag!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!