September 12, 2001

Day 166 - Katahdin Stream Campground to Mt. Katahdin

Went to the ranger's station to drop off our unneeded gear -- I unloaded everything except breakfast, my camera, my sleeping bag, and extra clothing. I was skipping with glee -- so light and so free.

The climb started off easy. It was warm, though, and I was beginning to regret the long underwear clinging to my legs. It was strange to be hiking at night. You really had to pay attention to the ground in front of you.

Then we started going up. Lots of rocks to maneuver around, then some we had to hoist ourselves up and over. Eventually we broke free from the trees. The night was perfectly clear, and we kept climbing closer and closer to the stars above.

 
Eventually we got above treeline -- nothing but big boulders all around us. The wind whipped around the corner of the mountain. It was time for a break and to pile on the layers. On went my long-sleeved shirt, my jacket, my fleece hat, and my gloves. It was cold!

We had some serious bouldering ahead of us. Dave's headlamp had died a mile or so back, but once we were above treeline he was able to get by with just the light of the moon to guide him. At one point we stopped and could see a line of headlamps slowly coming around the side of the mountain and could hear whoops and hollers echoing in the night.

Onward we went, grasping onto rocks and hoisting ourselves upward and upward still. It was scary at times but might have been scarier if we could have seen where we were and what the drop-offs really looked like. Eventually we made it to the Tablelands, and the terrain flattened out quite a bit but remained rocky nonetheless.

 
People started picking up speed, knowing that the summit wasn't too far ahead. The sky was gradually lightening, and soon we saw wisps of cotton in the sky being whipped around like streamers at a birthday party. Someone made it to the top, then another. We could see their black outlines against the pale peach sky. And still we kept walking.




Then it was in sight -- the summit sign. Dave was raising his poles in victory as we neared closer. I had been strangely unemotional and then, upon seeing the sign, burst into tears. We both touched it at the same time. Then there were hugs all around, and I noticed others had been crying as well.

 
We'd made it before the sunrise. Boy, was it cold! We took turns taking pictures by the sign. No time to sit and chat -- everyone got into their sleeping bags (heads where the feet usually go; upzippered to let your face poke through). The stink was tremendous, but preferable to the severe cold.




 
Everyone did their best to find a place to sit amongst the rocks. Fender passed around a mason jar of blueberry moonshine. I ate my breakfast -- a huge honeybun and oreo cookies.

 
Mary Poppins got naked; Bad Moon posed in his skirt on top of the sign. Then we had a group photo taken. There were 13 of us in all -- Smittee, Booger, Leslie, Mary Poppins, Smiles, Fiddlehead, Jeremiah Johnson, Bad Moon, Fender, Noggin, Happy, Longshanks, and me.


After about an hour and a half, the cold had become unbearable and everyone decided to leave. First Dave put the stone he had been carrying from Jimmy's grave on the cairn on top of the mountain. Everyone else decided to go down via the Knife's Edge. I did not like the looks of that. Very scary. The trail ended on top of the mountain; it didn't matter how you came down.

 
So we started hiking down the mountain the way we had come up. The sky was blue, and the air was getting warmer. It wasn't nearly as treacherous as I thought it was going to be. We bumped into some hikers along the way, happy for an opportunity to share our good news. There were congratulations all around. Finally we made it back to the campground.

None of the group had arrived yet. We returned to the ranger's station to collect our gear. Dave wrote in the register a quote about marriage that was so touching. I went back later to write something to him, but he never saw it. Maybe we'll go back someday to read those entries and reminisce.

--------------------------------------------------------------
For those of you still with me, I hope you've enjoyed your virtual hike. Thanks to those who took the time to comment (especially Murph!). It's not too late to do so. I will continue to add photos as time permits (reunions, etc.). So check back once in a while. Also check out the page on the blog with other hikers' summit photos.
Thanks for reading!
Blur/Kerri

2 comments:

  1. Bittersweet tears in my eyes-
    GREAT POST.
    Amazing pictures. Such a sweet summit journey.

    I never knew about the quote. Pretty cool. Hold it tight.

    Thank you so much for sharing your pics and your journal. I've loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an amazing journey! So inspiring and adventurous! I cannot wait to start hiking!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!