September 2, 2001

Day 156 - Bald Mountain Brook to East Branch of Piscataquis River

Good night. Very happy to have my zero-degree sleeping bag, yet again. Up at 7:30. We were in no rush, since we had only planned a 13-mile day.

Started off by climbing Moxie Bald Mountain. Great views from the top. We think we saw Katahdin -- or at least its peak. It didn't stir any special emotion in me. Keep thinking about home. It's been getting pretty bad. I visualize myself inside -- sitting on the couch, sleeping in my bed, playing CDs, cooking in the kitchen, watching Kaya and Tigger. And I'm also starting to think about all the things I want to do -- already have quite a list going. I know it's going to make Dave crazy, but I have to get moving if I'm going back to work Oct. 1.

 
Had lunch at a shelter, then sat in the warm sun and watched some frogs in the water. Found out that the terrain up til Monson is virtually flat! It was pretty easy walking, but I think the three of us were somewhat tired anyway. Had to "ford" a few rivers -- I guess nothing on the trail in Maine right now is deep enough that you have to get your feet wet. I'm not complaining.


 
Got to the shelter and decided to push on two more miles to a camping spot so we'll be closer to Monson in the a.m. Dave informed me that he may not be ready to leave town on Tuesday! Just as I suspected. But part of me is tired, too. Maybe a whole day off would give me a different (better) attitude towards this final chapter of our journey.

After tomorrow, only eight more hiking days remain. I am looking forward to the wilderness, but I do want to go home. I told Dave he's in charge of how many miles we go per day. It really doesn't matter to me, as long as we're out on Day 7. We'll see what happens. Full moon tonight. An owl and pack of coyotes were making their respective bird/animal noises a few minutes ago.

Strange trail-walking thought of the day: What's the difference between a lake and a pond? Mountain and hill? Record and album?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!