September 1, 2001

Day 155 - Caratunk to Bald Mountain Brook

Longshanks and Swagman enjoy tea and toast
Easier to get up when it's not raining. Think we got up around 7:30. Then we had a real breakfast in the cabin. Toast with butter and jelly, bacon, eggs and coffee. I really miss toast. Funny how different it tastes than uncooked bread.

Dave grabbed a ton of dehydrated food from the hiker box. I was happy with what I had but took a few things.

It's always tough to leave a nice place, but I was ready. Dave, on the other hand, said he would have stayed another day if the cabin were available. Then he said he might want to take an extra day in Monson! The end is in and then out of sight, like a mountain in the clouds.

Considered doing the 100-mile wilderness on my own (at my own pace) and waiting for Dave at the base of Katahdin. Instead, I came up with a very reasonable seven-day plan for the wilderness -- should make both of us happy (I hope).


 
A couple miles into our walk, we started to talk to a Sobo. Then we heard branches snapping and leaves crunching. It was a moose! Then along came her baby! Then papa! I don't think they saw us and were headed right for us. Pretty exciting!

Uneventful walk with one decent climb. It's all old hat now, though. Nothing we haven't seen before. Got to the shelter around 5:30. Quite a chill in the air. Set up the tents by a bubbling brook. No other thru-hikers around. Thinking about home a lot -- what the inside looks like (and the outside, but mostly the inside). Will it be time for my electric blanket when we get home? Today is September 1. Feels like fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!