July 17, 2001

Day 110 - Jug End Road to Mt. Wilcox Shelter


Before we went to bed, a bard owl started asking us “Who cooks for you?” I wonder where those women are. Slept til 7:30, but didn’t get out of camp til around 10.

Dave enjoyed having a leisurely morning, which was good. But it was going to be a hot one, which concerned me a bit. 

Bumped into Murph, who told us about a farm stand at the next road crossing. Strange to see so many Mass. license plates. Stranger still to think that I could just stick my thumb out (or hop on a bus) and be home in a matter of hours. A little tempting, but I resisted.

I guess Swag picked up a Boston radio station the night before. I haven’t tried. Lovely walk through conifer forest, fields, and meadows, next to a river…Maybe I’m biased, but it was quite nice. Some tough climbs in the afternoon. Lots of ripe raspberries, but not enough time to fully enjoy them.


Got to the first Wilcox shelter around 7 and decided to stay. Lots of porcupine damage. We had to hang our packs and boots out of reach (I guess they go after the salt). Decided to get up real early so we’d have most of the day at Upper Goose Pond. I must say that my bagel for dinner has left much to be desired. Maybe I’ll try oatmeal next.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!